Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For those who want to be Eurocrats...

by San Shopanza

In 2004 the EPSO (European Personal Selection Office) announced the recruitment of "administrators" from my home country. So I applied for the job.

Almost a year after I had sent my application file (the preparation of which took me 3 months since they obviously needed everything, from my birth certificate to my life permit), I received the good news...I couldn't believe it! My application had passed the pre-selection procedure! And with only 53.678 competitors left!

The 'concours'
So I prepared myself for the written selection test, the so-called 'concours'. I bought all the books and learned everything by heart.

When I say everything, I mean everything. I knew all about the EU, its history, its policies, its personalities. I knew all the European leaders, the Commissioners, the heads of the European institutions. I knew about their tasks, their past, their families, their friends. I knew their favourite food and their sexual preferences. So I was ready!

And then came the day of the 'concours'. Since we were so many, the exam took place in Brussels' Heysel Stadium. We had to arrive 2 hours before because of the registration. I had to queue in an enormous line for 1 hour and then I had another hour to find my place. Not an easy task with 53.678 seats.

Meanwhile, a guy on a podium was yelling rules of conduct down on us. He had a megaphone and told us what we were not allowed to do. Since we were not allowed to do anything I decided to name him 'Concentration-Camp-Erhard'.

It seemed surreal: Concentration-Camp-Erhard yelling at 49.999 competitors (3.679 didn't come, which made me really happy - my chances of success had increased without my doing anything). He was also yelling at around 50.000 spectators on the tribune (many family members and friends had come to cheer and support those close to them). All this intermingled into an incredibly loud, but indistinct noise. Above the stadium an airy mist was forming from our body heats.

Concentration-Camp-Erhard opened the 'concours' by shooting in the air with a real gun. The crowd started howling and we, the competitors, opened our envelopes containing the questions.

I must say it went quite well for me, compared to those who had to give up: many fainted ( 49.978); one shot himself on the podium with Concentration-Camp-Erhard's gun (49.977 - I still think he wanted to bluff and assumed the gun was not real).

Yet what really disturbed me was that incredible noise coming from the spectators, together with the continuous wailing of the ambulance sirens. I have had slight audition problems since that day.

It also became a little chaotic with the thunderstorm. We and the papers were totally soaked by the pouring rain and one of the competitors got hit by a lightning bolt (49.976). This caused a certain panic. 20 were trampled to death ( 49.956) and Concentration-Camp-Erhard had to shoot 5 to restore order (49.951). My chances were increasing by the minute.

The test was easier than I thought. The only 2 questions I couldn't answer were the date of Commissioner Verheugen's plastic surgeon's conviction for alcoholism at work, and the name of Commission President Barroso's pet guinea pig. Damn it! I thought the guinea pig's name was 'Snoopy'. In fact it was 'Pooky'. (As to the plastic surgeon, I honestly didn't know he had been convicted. I have never understood what he had done wrong.)

Imagining becoming a European civil servant
In the following months after the exam, I couldn't stop imagining what would happen if I passed the 'concours'. My name, I dreamed, would be added to that famous EPSO-list, and I would be ready to be employed by any Head of Unit in one of the institutions.

Yet in order to be recruited, I would have to get the attention of at least one Head of Unit. So I would have to stalk around his office in flashy clothes, call him at home in the middle of the night, jump before his car, run naked through his garden... It could be a long wait. And one would have to stick one's head and swirl it around deep inside.

But then I imagined the day I would be hired. Me becoming a European civil servant! Wow!

I saw myself in a huge office surrounded by beautiful East and South European female colleagues all looking either like Carmen Kass or Penelope Cruz. And I would be responsible for something great, like protection of the environment. I would be some kind of hero, some kind of 'environment Frodo' fighting against the industrial 'Saurons'. And I would become the most famous civil servant of my unit, of my department, of my Directorate General.

I imagined how I would even become a Director General. No, not a Commissioner, but a Director General. Commissioners still have to pretend they are nice. Not Directors General. Have you ever seen a Director General? It is difficult to spot one because they are as rare as Komodo dragons. And they look like dragons too. Like them, Directors General don't have natural enemies; they become very big, very self-confident and even dangerous to humans.

Broken dreams
But then, a sudden answer from EPSO abruptly ended my dreams. I had failed the 'concours'. I had missed it for 'Pooky'.

I must admit, it almost destroyed me. I started drinking over night and in the mornings. Unable to give up my civil servant dreams, I went to cafés close to EU buildings to watch the elite, those who would know Barroso's Guinea pig's name, walking to their offices.

You can't imagine how I envied them. "Why couldn't I be one of them? Bloody, bloody 'Pooky'!" I thought.

After a while however, when I was about to turn into a Guinea pig killer, I noticed that many of the civil servants, who went to work in the morning, didn't really look happy. On the contrary, most of them actually really seemed depressed with empty faces. How could it be? They worked in an international environment, earned loads of money and drove the standard European-civil-servants-cars, the Volvos. "You must be endlessly happy with that!" I internally screamed.

The true meaning of being a European civil servant
But continuing my daily observations, I slowly began to understand:
European civil servants didn't have huge offices; they had tiny little Guinea pigs' cages.
European civil servants were not 'environment Frodos'; they worked on the harmonisation of Guinea pigs' sizes.
European civil servants didn't get rightly promoted; they had either the wrong nationality or the wrong friends.
European civil servants didn't have interesting lives; they were eternally exposed to non-danger and couldn't even die in car crashes; they were driving Volvos.
European civil servants didn't have the fundamental freedom to choose another occupation; they needed European civil servants' salaries to keep up with huge house loans and Volvos.
Female European civil servants didn't look like Kass or Cruz; they looked like that Komodo-dragon-lady from the show 'The Weakest Link'.

This understanding made me free and alive again. I was happy, stopped drinking and found a job as a postman. "Who the hell wants to become a European civil servant?" I thought...

It was totally unintended when, recently, I had another glimpse at European civil servants' salaries and allowances.

Instantly, I started studying for next year's 'concours'.

24 Comments:

At Sunday, 12 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this deeply human experience I had in 2006... even if I think that female civil servants don't look like dragons!

 
At Tuesday, 14 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on! I had a great laught!
Don't forget that now there are concours for contractual agents which are just as ludicrous and even if you succeed through all the phases you end up earning less than a postman, you drive a VW that was handed down to you for free by your sister after having crashed it a couple of times (instead of the proverbial Volvo) and you dream of being able to afford to support a guinea pig one day.

 
At Tuesday, 06 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, I think those guys made a wonderfull job at http://epsoforum.com Looks like everybody can share experiences in organised way about competitions in different fields: public administration, law, economics, AST etc.

 
At Friday, 19 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very funny, the EPSO concours is just like the european administration: huge and intricate. But the salary are very high, and they need people to translate between slovenian and czech, or between gaellic and polish. So they pay a translator 10.000 € a month to make translation, it is a langauge school !!!

Manu972

 
At Sunday, 10 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you prolong your battery for laptop.

 
At Tuesday, 12 May, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!Maybe you should focus on a career as a writer!you're great!thanks for the funny moment :D and good luck with the next exam ;P

 
At Wednesday, 09 June, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your story. It made me laugh outloud which is something I haven't done for a long time. You should for sure consider becoming a writer.

If you do decide to take the concours again, please write about it.

Thanks

:)

 
At Monday, 08 August, 2011, Anonymous laptop battery said...

Thank you for sharing this deeply human experience.
laptop battery

 
At Friday, 16 September, 2011, Anonymous Affordable Logo Design said...

This is really a very good article creative and informative one, I am very interested in its topic and read them was a pleasure.

 
At Tuesday, 11 October, 2011, Anonymous Search Engine Optimization Consultant said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience.

 
At Friday, 23 December, 2011, Blogger Tom Riddle said...

I really enjoyed reading your story. It made me laugh outloud which is something I haven't done for a long time. You should for sure consider becoming a writer.

If you do decide to take the concours again, please write about it.

Thanks

Custom Logo Design

 
At Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, Anonymous Professional Logo Design said...

Thank you for sharing this deeply human experience.

 
At Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, Anonymous PSD To Wordpress said...

Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read. Keep up your great work.

 
At Monday, 06 February, 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, have you ever succeded in your atempt to became an EU official? please answer me at tiberiu_nutu@yahoo.com thanks!

 
At Monday, 13 February, 2012, Anonymous hotels near columbus circle said...

Really awesome I could tell that we're on the same interest and obsession. Good to know someone I could share my ideas. Thanks for this nice sharing.

 
At Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, Anonymous Seo forum said...

Thanks for sharing this post. Keep sharing more and more..

 
At Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, Anonymous Buy domain names said...

Thanks for this nice sharing you made here and i would like to visit often here..
Register website domain

 
At Thursday, 01 March, 2012, Blogger AndraG said...

Just came back from my EPSO exam...Stubled upon it and because I still had my serious Komodo-dragon-lady face on, it took me a while to figure out you were joking...woke up at the stadium part. Brilliant! Had a good laugh also.

 
At Wednesday, 07 March, 2012, Anonymous Website Conversion Rate Optimization Experts said...

Thanks for this article. It's just what I was searching for. I am always interested in this subject.

 
At Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, Anonymous Cheap Logo said...

Thanks for sharing your website.This blogs are very informative. I really say thanks to you.

 
At Monday, 09 April, 2012, Blogger Knox Karter said...

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.

Ready-Made Religion and Spirituality Logo

 
At Thursday, 19 April, 2012, Anonymous Facebook Games said...

Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.

 
At Friday, 10 August, 2012, Anonymous Facebook Game Development said...

My wish is still in pending. Why? because I want to work with European Union but not get the chance to work with them. I am trying to get job and become the part of European Union. Prayer for me and my job.

Regards,
Susan Gray,

 
At Monday, 21 January, 2013, Anonymous Business VoIP Providers said...

A great site regarding creativity and also enhances knowledge, I'm assuming good feedback is allowed too but here it is either way. I just wanted to say, I'm a beginner in IT field. I wish I could make sites like these favorites. I don't know who makes these websites but you guys are great. I really like that kind of attention to detail.Great job on the websites and stuff, hope to see more of you guys work in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home